Frequently Asked Questions

Operating Engineers Local 955 provides industry leadership and is recognized as a world class union of the future. We are the preferred source of highly skilled, safe, reliable and productive trade’s people for owners and contractors alike. Our union is progressive and committed to leadership development and lifelong learning for its members. IUOE Local 955 exemplifies “true brotherhood” through a fully informed, inclusive, and participative membership.


How long does it take to become a member?

It can take 4-6 months to become a member of OE955.  In order to be initiated into the Union, you must:

  • Work for a signatory employer
  • Complete an application
  • Pay initiation fees
  • Work minimum required hours (usually 350 hours)
  • Complete your probationary period (if required by the Collective Agreement)

Hours and dues are submitted by the employer 2-3 weeks into the following month.  For example, hours and dues remitted for the month of May are not received by the Union until mid to late June.

Who deducts my union dues?

The employer deducts your dues and remits them to the Union.  Members are responsible to ensure union dues are being deducted each month.

Can I pay my Out of Work, Retired or Disability dues online?

Yes, payments can be made online by logging into the Member Area and selecting Make a Payment.  We accept VISA, Mastercard and VISA Debit.

Can I set up automatic payments?

No, we cannot automatically withdraw dues from your bank account.  Dues payments can be made online within the secure Member Area or you can call the Union Hall to make a credit card payment or make a payment in person at one of our district offices in Edmonton, Fort McMurray or Calgary.

How do I change my address or phone number?

Contact information can be updated online in the Profile tab of the Member Area or you can call any district office to speak with administration.

I am retired, do I have to pay dues? How much are retired/disability dues?

Yes, all members must pay dues until they reach Lifetime Member status at 50 years of service.  Retired and disability dues are $21/month.

How to set up a travel card and/or non-member profile?

  1. Travel Card and Non-Members should go to the website.
  2. Click the Jobs link.
  3. From the Jobs drop down, click Job Board or Work Experience profile (accounts can be created using either of the links).
  4. Travel Card Members should click login under the Travel Card heading. Non-Members should click the link indicating Non-Members. 

  5. In the login required screen, click Create an Account .

  6. A new page will appear, all fields indicating an asterisk (*) are required within this page or the account will not be set up, this includes a password. Local ID and registration # are not a required field. 

  7. Check off the “I confirm that the information I have provided is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.” statement. 

  8. Click create account.
  9. The system generates an email to the User to complete the registration/account creation process. Users must click the link within the email to complete the account creation process.


How do I bid on a job?

You can bid online using our Job Board or by calling the Union.

Can I cancel a job bid?

Yes, if you realize you do not have the qualifications for a position you can call the Union and cancel your bid. 

When will I know if I got the job I bid on?

Dispatching may take up to five business days.  The dispatch office will only contact qualified candidates who are being considered for the position. 


How do I get on the Out of Work List?

Members are responsible for putting themselves on the Out of Work List.  Employers do not notify us when jobs end. 

How do I check in?

You can check in online in the Member Area, Job Board or by calling the Union Hall at 780 483 0955.  Bidding on a job also creates a check in.

How often do I need to check in?

Members on the Out of Work List need to check in once a month.


Where can I get a copy of my collective agreement?

Collective agreements are online in Member Area of our website. 

Where can I see what my wages are? What am I entitled to for Bereavement Leave?

Wages and benefits vary according to collective agreements.  Please find your collective agreement online in the Member Area.

Mobile Crane Period 1 - Registration Open

Posted on May 22, 2024

Mobile Crane Period 1 - Registration Open

Read Full Post