Health & Pension FAQs

Health & Pension (Still to be updated for benefits changes starting 2024)

When do my benefits start and end?

Your coverage begins on the first day of the month following the month in which 350 Adjusted Hours have been received by the Trust Office. Notification will be mailed to your home address advising you of the effective date of your coverage.

When does my coverage end?  If you have less than 150 Adjusted Hours in your Hour Bank at the end of the month, your coverage stops.  Your coverage will begin again once you re-qualify for coverage by accumulating at least 350 Adjusted Hours in a six -month period.

If you transfer, take a withdrawal card, or are expelled or suspended by the Union, your benefits with the Union will terminate the end of the month in which you transfer, withdraw, are expelled or are suspended from the Union. Your Hour bank balance will remain on your file up to 12 months from the date you transfer, withdraw, are expelled or are suspended.

Can I keep receipts until my coverage "kicks in"?

No, any services received before your coverage date cannot be reimbursed.

Can I get a number to give to my pharmacist/dental office?

Once your coverage begins, we will mail out a Registration Form. This form must be filled out and returned to our office before a Benefits Card with your certificate number will be issued.  You will receive your card in the mail about 2-3 weeks after OE Local 955 processes your form.  If you require your Benefits Card number earlier, you can contact the Trust Office for the information.

Why is my spouse/children not covered?

To cover your spouse and children, please complete a new Registration Form to list your dependents. Once the new Registration Form is complete, forward it to the Trust Office.

I am a member in Good Standing and have an illness that requires me to be away from work, how and when do I apply for Short Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity) Benefits?

To apply for your short-term disability coverage, contact the Trust Office. Your benefits plan with OE Local 955 is your first payer for disability claims. The benefit level is equal to the Employment Insurance Sickness Benefit.  The maximum benefit period for short-term disability is 32 weeks.  To be eligible for short-term disability, you need to be a Member in good standing with OE Local 955 and you must be a covered Member with at least 150 adjusted hours in your Hour Bank. Members who are self-paying for benefits or who have taken a retirement from OE Local 955 are not eligible to receive short-term disability.  Your short-term disability claim needs to be received by the Trust Office within 90 days of the date of your disability.

Do I have coverage for Emergency Out of Country Travel Insurance with my Health & Wellness Benefits from the Operating Engineers Local 955 Health & Wellness Plan?

If you are a member in good standing with OE Local 955 and you are a covered member with 150 Adjusted Hours in your bank or more, or you are making self-payments for your benefits coverage, you are covered.  The maximum coverage is valid for 30 days per trip. The maximum coverage is unlimited. If you are planning a trip outside of the province or country, it is important to have a copy of your travel card with you. 

My Hour Bank for Health and Wellness coverage has run out. Is it possible to continue my coverage with self payments?

If you are a member in good standing you can make self payments for coverage. Payments can be made online, in person at the Trust Office, or by phoning the Trust Office.  When making self-payments online or in person, VISA debit, VISA, and Mastercard are accepted.

Is it possible to maintain my Life Insurance coverage if my coverage with the Operating Engineers Local 955 Health and Wellness Plan ends or I am now self-paying?

If your coverage ends with the OE Local 955 and you are under the age of 65, you are eligible to apply for Personal Life Benefits which is the life insurance offered by Manulife.  If your application to Manulife is submitted within 31 days of your coverage ending with OE Local 955 Health & Wellness, then you do not have to provide a medical for life insurance amounts up to $100,000.This must be completed within 31 days of your coverage ending with OE Local 955 Health & Wellness.