Health & Pension FAQs

Health & Pension

When do my benefits start?

You may start using your benefits the month after you become a member and after you have 350 hours of work completed with the union. Your hours are received the month after you have completed them and they will contribute to the premiums you pay for benefits the following month. For example, you have completed your hours for November, but we won’t receive those hour until December, and your coverage won’t start until January 1.

Can I keep receipts until my coverage "kicks in"?

No, any claims made before your coverage date cannot be reimbursement.

Can I get a number to give to my pharmacist/dental office?

Once your coverage begins, we will mail out a new member package.  In that package is a registration form that has to be filled out and returned to our office before a Certificate number can be issued.  You will receive your card in the mail about 2-3 weeks after IUOE 955 receives your registration form.  You can also contact the trust office one week after we receive your registration form and we can give you your number to provide to your pharmacist and dental office.

Why is my spouse/children not covered?

This could be for a few reasons including an improperly completed registration form or if your spouse or child has a different last name than yours. To fix this, we require a marriage certificate or declaration of common law filled out on your registration form. If your child or children have a different last name, we would require a long format birth certificate that includes parentage for them to be covered. If these documents are provided, your spouse or child will be covered on the same date as yourself. 

I am a member in Good Standing and have an illness that requires me to be away from work, how and when do I apply for Short Term Disability (Weekly Indemnity) Benefits?

Please contact the Trust Office at (780) 483-9550. Your benefits plan with OE955 is your first payer for disability claims. The benefit level is equal to the Employment Insurance Sickness benefits. The benefit level is equal to the Employment Insurance Sickness Benefit (for 2018 this benefit is $543 per week).  The maximum benefit period for Short Term Disability is 32 weeks.  To be approved for short-term disability, you need to be a member in good standing with the IUOE955 and not be self-paying for benefits coverage.  Your claim for short-term disability needs to be submitted to the Trust Office within 90 days of your date of disability.

Do I have coverage for Emergency Out of Country Travel Insurance with my Health & Wellness Benefits from the Operating Engineers Local 955 Health & Wellness Plan?

If you are a member in good standing with the IUOE 955 and you have an hour bank balance of 130 hours or more, or you are making self payments for your benefits coverage, you are covered.  The maximum coverage is valid for 30 days to a maximum of $5 million. If you are planning a trip outside of Canada, it is important to have the “purple” coloured card with you.  If you require another card, contact the Trust Office at (780) 483-9550 for assistance.

My Hour Bank for Health and Wellness coverage has run out. Is it possible to continue my coverage with self payments?

If you are a member in good standing you can make self payments for coverage.  The cost is $150 per month for a maximum of 18 months.  Payments can be made online, in person at the Trust Office, or by contacting the Trust Office at (780) 483-9550.  When making self payments online or making payments in person, VISA debit, VISA, and Mastercard are accepted. If you are making self payments by phone, only Visa and Mastercard are accepted.

Is it possible to maintain my Life Insurance coverage if my coverage with the Operating Engineers Local 955 Health and Wellness Plan ends?

If your coverage ends with the IUOE 955 and you are under the age of 65, you are eligible to convert your Group Life Insurance to an Individual Life Insurance Plan.  This must be completed within 31 days of your coverage ending with IUOE 955 health and wellness.  To obtain more information about this contact the Trust Office at (780) 483-9550.