Heavy Equipment Operator Course Policy
- Must be a member of Local 955 in good standing.
- Must have a minimum of 350 working hours through a contributing employer within the past 12 months.
- Must have a good understanding of the English language.
- Must meet the following medical requirements:
If corrective lenses are required, you shall always wear them while operating a machine; and you must have the ability to hear warning signals. If a hearing aid is required, it shall be worn at all times.
- Must have proper safety equipment: CSA approved work boots, safety glasses and hard hat.
- Current compact equipment certificate (Skid Steer, CTL, Telehandler, Wheel Loader) or
- A letter from an Employer confirming experience within the past 24 months.
- Successfully completed pre-study assignment.
- Students are required to be on time. Participants who arrive more than 15 minutes late will be refused entry to the course. Tardiness or absenteeism is not tolerated.
Rules of Conduct
- You must not be under the influence of non-prescription drugs or alcohol.
- You must follow the instructions and policies of the course instructor.
- You must not purposely damage IUOE property.
- You will treat the instructor and fellow students in a respectful manner.
- You must not use profanities, racial or sexual remarks while in attendance.
We reserve the right to dismiss any participant who engages in:
- Physical abuse of the equipment or property
- Theft of any nature or degree
- Verbal or physical abuse of the instructor or other students, including disputes
- Behavior displaying insubordination, refusal to cooperate with instructors and schedules
- Recklessly operating equipment
- Academic dishonesty
- Use of alcohol or non-prescription drugs (If the student is under the influence of prescription drugs the student must make the instructor aware of the type of drug and the effect it may have on alertness or his/her ability to safely operate equipment).
- A minimum of 2 weeks’ notice for cancellations or re-scheduling is required. All late cancellations and no shows will result in forfeiting your deposit. You will not be eligible to book or request reimbursement for equipment training for 6 months following the initial course date.
- A deposit of $500 is required to register for the Heavy Equipment Classes. If you are paying by credit card, the deposit will be approved at the time of registration and will be processed only if terms of registration have not been met. Cash deposits will be returned if and when the course is completed.